Sonia and Orosil Airspe Wiki – Sonia and Orosil Airspe Biography
Sonia and Orosil Airspe, aged 75 and 81, were unable to escape when their home on Lily Street, Wetherill Park, in south-west Sydney, caught fire at 6 am on Wednesday. Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the two-story house and called emergency services at 6:45 a.m. Two brave neighbors then launched a rescue mission to try and save the grandparents but were unable to open the blinds covering the upstairs windows. The two men suffered smoke inhalation in their desperate attempt, and one of them was taken to hospital. Firefighters eventually forced their way into the house, which burned for nearly three hours, and located their bodies.
Sonia and Orosil Airspe, aged 75 and 81,
Wetherill Park House fire
“Firefighters took the woman outside and applied CPR until NSW Ambulance paramedics arrived, however the couple were pronounced dead at the scene,” a Fire and Rescue NSW statement said. Firefighters continued to attack the flames, extinguishing the fire around 9:30 a.m.’ FRNSW used 24 firefighters and six fire trucks to extinguish the Lily Road house fire. FRNSW Deputy Commissioner Megan Stiffler told 7News it appeared the grandparents “were trying to get out” based on evidence recovered inside. She added that the tight security measures made it difficult for firefighters to enter the house. It is understood that Mr Airspe suffered from dementia and that many of the possible exits from the house were bolted from the inside in an effort to prevent him from being unnoticed and getting lost.
Neighbors said the elderly couple were popular and were often seen entertaining their grandchildren at home. Ms. Stiffler said it’s essential for households to check that their smoke detectors are working, but also to talk with family members about their plans in the event of a home fire. “If you have older relatives, please sit down, have the discussion, talk about where your safety escape plan is,” she said. Stiffler said the deaths are “a tragic reminder” of how dangerous homes become during the winter. Six people have died in house fires in New South Wales so far this winter, one more than in the same period in 2022. Last year a record 16 people died in house fires in NSW over the winter. Fire and Rescue NSW advised homeowners to keep all materials at least one meter from any heaters, ensure electric blankets are not damaged and smoke alarms are connected and working properly. Experts from FRNSW’s Fire Investigation and Investigation Unit (FIRU) are now working with NSW Police to determine where and how the fire started.