Who was Megan Ebenroth? Wiki, Bio, Age, Family, Died from rare brain-eating amoeba

megan-ebenroth

Megan Ebenroth Wiki – Megan Ebenroth Biography

Megan Ebenroth, of Dearing, in McDuffie County near Augusta, died on July 22 just 11 days after swimming in a freshwater lake with friends. She was infected with a single-celled organism, called Naegleria fowleri, which can get up swimmers’ noses and travel along nerves to the brain. Her family said that she was an outstanding student who dreamed of going to college at the University of Georgia.Her death follows that of a 2-year-old boy in Nevada who contracted the infection after swimming in a lake. In February, a man in Florida was also reported to have died from the infection after rinsing his nose with tap water. Megan is also the sixth person to die from the disease, which is fatal in more than 97 percent of cases, in Georgia since 1962.Although rare, scientists warn that rising temperatures are warming freshwater lakes, causing the amoeba to proliferate and increasing the risk of infection.

Paying tribute to her daughter, Christina told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution: ‘I’m still in shock. But I cannot keep silent about her. She was extraordinary. She was my world. She would tell people that I was her best friend and I would tell her, “Honey, I can’t be your best friend.””And about three weeks ago, she was like, ‘Come on, Mom, you know I’m your best friend,’ and I was like, ‘Yeah, honey, you are.'”Her mother revealed that Megan was vice president of her high school’s Spanish club and that she had just started playing tennis for the school team. She had dreams of studying at the University of Georgia.The Georgia Department of Public Health has not disclosed which lake she swam in shortly before she was diagnosed.Her mother has also not revealed the location, saying it is a popular lake with families and her daughter’s infection was a rare event. She doesn’t want memories of the area to be tarnished.But her mother’s sister, Kathy Hardigree, claimed on social media that Megan became infected after swimming in Clark Hill Lake in McDuffie County, Georgia.

Read More:

Robin Caliskal Wiki, Bio, Age, Family, Dies in the pool just an hour after arriving at the Cornwall holiday park

Megan Ebenroth Age

Megan Ebenroth was 17 years old.

‘Remarkable young soul’ teen identified as victim who died from rare brain-eating amoeba

When asked for comment, a DPH spokeswoman told DailyMail.com the “biggest message” was that the amoeba can be “in any freshwater lake, river or pond in Georgia.””While the risk is low, people should assume it exists and take appropriate preventive measures,” she added.Around four million people visit this lake each year, according to estimates, where families can picnic, kayak, water-ski and even camp at the water’s edge.Megan last went swimming in the lake with friends on July 11, her mother said. Four days later she woke up with a severe headache and was taken to the emergency room, where she was treated for a migraine.That day, her mother also visited the local emergency room (ER), where Megan was prescribed antibiotics for a possible sinus infection and sent home.Christina slept next to Megan that night, but when she woke up the next morning, she discovered that her daughter had a high feverShe was rushed to the emergency room at Doctors Hospital of Augusta, where she underwent blood tests and received intravenous fluids before being transferred to Children’s Hospital of Georgia.She was intubated for several days and, at one point, even had her skull cut open to help relieve pressure on her swollen brain.

Ebenroth said doctors did not mention Naegleria fowleri as a possible cause of her daughter’s illness until July 21, just one day before Megan’s death.The amoeba can only survive in fresh water and triggers an infection when inhaled through the nose, rather than swallowed. Once there, she travels through the nerves to the brain where the amoeba launches an attack.Warning signs of infection begin about five days after infection and include sudden fever, headache, vomiting, and stiff neck.Later stages of the disease include confusion, seizures, hallucinations, and coma before death.The disease is fatal in more than 97 percent of cases, but at least five Americans are known to have survived the disease. The latest was a 14-year-old boy in Florida who spent nearly a year in the hospital fighting the infection.Doctors treat the infection with a series of drugs known to kill the amoeba, helping patients fight off the infection.Cases have risen in recent years, and scientists say it’s due to a combination of warmer temperatures and increased awareness of the disease, which means more infections are being diagnosed.

The Georgia Department of Public Health has advised people to avoid swimming in warm water to avoid becoming infected.Warning the disease is becoming more common Dr Dennis Kyle, the head of cellular biology at the University of Georgia, told FOX8: ‘We are experiencing warmer temperatures, and these amoebae are thermal-tolerant… so the numbers of amoeba will be higher.’Warmer climate means, yes, more exposure and more cases.’He added that in the last four to five years the number of cases reported had ‘significantly increased’.Megan is also survived by her father Steve and older brother Matt.Her funeral was held on July 27 and was attended by friends and family.Writing a tribute to her online, one friend said: ‘Megan was such a sweet young lady and great at her job at the NHM. ‘I enjoyed getting to know her at work and she is very much missed! Prayers and hugs for all her family.’Another said: ‘Megan you always had a smile to share, time to give and time to care. You were a special friend and we will always miss you!’

Read More:

Who was Carl Schulz Jr.? Wiki, Bio, Age, Family, Suspect in the Murder of his wife Kimberly Hoffman

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*