Leah Churchill and Brooke Wanstall Wiki – Bio
Leah Churchill, a 50-year-old woman, and her daughter Brooke Wanstall tragically died after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning from generator exhaust while decorating a burger van for her son’s birthday. Leah and her daughter Wanstall, 17, were found in the Meat ‘N’ Greet snack truck on a road in Whitstable, Kent on Tuesday, February 14.
Churchill and Wanstall’s bodies were found by their devastated son Tyla Wanstall, who initially thought they were sleeping. Tyla, who turned 26 on Tuesday, said she was unaware that Churchill and Brooke had gone to the food truck site last night to prepare for her birthday. “They were decorating the van with balloons and bunting as a birthday surprise for me, just like my mum did at home every year,” the grieving son told KentOnline.
Leah Churchill,50, and Brooke Wanstall was 17 years old.
Leah Churchill and her daughter Brooke Wanstall, die of carbon monoxide in a burger van
Tyla revealed that she opened the truck door after smelling the fumes. “I smelled the fumes, but it didn’t register immediately, but it was clear they were both dead. I called the police and an ambulance, but it was the fire department who told me it was probably carbon monoxide poisoning.” He believes that Churchill may have turned on the petrol generator ‘unaware of the danger’ so they could ‘keep warm’ while decorating.
Tyla further claimed that the thought that the mother and daughter had spent their final minutes “trying to put a smile on my face” left him feeling “heartbroken”. He added that his mother mainly worked in the hospitality business, but she had been helping him with the burger van during the week. Churchill, who was the mother of four, is survived by her 23-year-old daughter, Tyla Ocean, and 12-year-old son Sonny. Tyla described her mother as a “kind” soul, that she would “do anything for anyone”.
She later revealed that Brooke was about to start her degree after completing her GCSEs. “She had her whole life ahead of her,” she said. “She did very well on her grades and she had just started working as a career, which she was really enjoying. She was also due to take her driving test next week.” Tyla continued to warn people about carbon monoxide. “Watch out for this, people. If you don’t have a carbon monoxide alarm, get one. She is a serious killer,” she added. “I don’t know how we’re going to get through this.” Carbon monoxide killed 116 people in the UK in 2020, the latest ONS data shows.