Kim Reid Wiki – Kim Reid Biography
Kim Reid, a 24-year-old professional dog walker, has issued a warning to pet owners when her healthy dog died while resting in the shade.
Kim Reid said she followed all precautions to avoid heatstroke, but her French Bulldog, Bruno, died on May 30 after spending time in the garden. The two-year-old was playing in the garden with Kim’s other canines, Enzo and Louie, while Bruno found a shady spot to relax. Despite having plenty of water, shade, and access to the house, he died of heatstroke, and Kim says she wants other dog owners to be warned of the hazards.
Kim, from Aughnacloy, Co Tyrone, said: ‘I had no idea a dog could die when they were simply enjoying an hour in the garden in the shade. I’ve worked with dogs all of my life, I have worked in rescue and rehoming and I’m a professional dog walker. The day Bruno died was warm but not very hot, and I was off work and was working in the house while my three dogs were outside enjoying the garden. They had access to the house, they had plenty of cool water, I was checking on them regularly and Bruno was enjoying the shade while Enzo and Louie played with each other.
But then when I went out to check on them, I found Bruno lying dead. I thought at first he was just sleeping but he was gone and nothing I could do would bring him back. I was so shocked, I started screaming and the neighbors ran to see what was wrong. I just couldn’t believe it. I took Bruno into the sitting room and held him in my arms. After an hour or more, I thought to take his temperature and even at that stage it was sky-high. He had died of heatstroke, he had died while lying in the shade in our garden.
Kim Reid Age
Kim Reid is 24 years old.
Owners of dogs are advised after a dog dies from heatstroke while lying in the shade
Kim revealed that the dog suffered heatstroke while she was working around her house. She said he had plenty of water and shade in the garden and had been coming in and out of the house as normal, before succumbing to the heat while snoozing in the shade. The signs that he might be struggling were in no way obvious, but looking back now maybe he seemed a bit more lazy than usual. Maybe he was panting a bit more than usual?’ The dog lover added that this behavior was ‘nothing out of the ordinary’ for the pet, who had always loved to laze around the house and would pant often. There is so much online about not walking dogs in the heat, but I never knew just a bit of sun out in the garden could be fatal to dogs. Brachycephalic dog breeds like French Bulldogs are more likely to suffer heatstroke than any other dog and I knew that.
But I didn’t realize how rapidly it might damage them even if they weren’t overtly hot, and now I know it may be lethal in as little as 15 minutes with little warning.’ Heartbroken Kim expressed regret for not knowing how dangerous heatstroke can be. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing, it was not enough to save Bruno. I am heartbroken beyond words. ‘Anyone who knew Bruno would tell you that he was the most relaxed and well-behaved dog you’d ever meet,’ she said. ‘He did not deserve what happened to him, and I will always feel guilty that I should have seen anything or realized something was wrong,’ she continued. This has been the most upsetting heartbreaking lesson in my life but as upsetting as it is I hope Bruno’s story can save some other doggies from the same fate. Please, please, watch your fur babies in this weather, 15 minutes is enough to cause irreversible damage and a lifetime of pain.’