Eva Liu and Kelsey Chang Wiki – Eva Liu and Kelsey Chang Biography
Eva Liu and Kelsey Chang named – Eva Liu, 21, from Naperville, Illinois, died after plunging 165ft down a ravine during a day trip to the famous Neuschwanstein castle in Bavaria. Liu and her 22-year-old friend Kelsey Chang both graduated from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign last month. Chang miraculously survived the alleged attack by a 30-year-old man, also a US tourist. It is believed a fallen tree stopped her from plunging all the way into the ravine. A statement from the associate chancellor of the UIUC confirmed the two women had recently graduated with computer science and computer engineering degrees. Robin Kaler described the death of Liu as ‘senseless’.
She said in a statement: ’Our University of Illinois family is mourning the senseless death of Ms. Liu and the attack on Ms. Chang. Both had just graduated in May and should have been able to celebrate such an important accomplishment without the fear of such a tragic outcome.’ Kaler revealed that Liu was awarded a BS in Computer Science in May 2023 and Chang got a BS in Computer Engineering at the same time. Police say Liu was attacked and Chang then tried to help but she was choked by the suspect and pushed down the slope. The attacker then made an attempted sexual offense on the 21-year-old before pushing her over.
Eva Liu, 21, and Kelsey Chang 22 years old.
Neuschwanstein Castle attack details
Chang, who is from Bloomington, Illinois, was saved from almost certain death by a fallen tree, new footage of her rescue appears to show. Video shot by tourists at the main entrance to the castle shows German mountain rescuers being lowered down from a helicopter to where the two women landed next to each other – halfway down the steep cliff. One of the women, who appears to be wearing a light blue top, can be seen moving around next to a fallen tree, someway down the steep slope. The fallen tree is right at the top of a sheer drop down a much steeper portion of the cliff. Both women were airlifted to hospital, where Liu was pronounced dead. Were it not for the fallen tree, it appears that her friend would have likely also died. The two women had been staying at the same hotel as their attacker, MailOnline can reveal. Liu did not know her assailant but was on the same day trip excursion to the world-famous Neuschwanstein Castle – said to have inspired Disney’s ‘Cinderella’ castle – with a close friend. Bavarian Police told MailOnline earlier today that Chang only suffered light injuries from the massive fall.
Suspect in Neuschwanstein Castle attack charged with murder
The alleged assailant has been held on charges of murder, attempted murder and one sexual offense. He was seen being led away from the scene in handcuffs with video taken by another tourist showing scratches on his face. Police said he has ‘had his say in court’ after refusing to speak to investigators. All three of the US visitors had been staying at the budget Seibel Hotel in the centre of Munich, around 50 miles away from the castle. They had traveled by coach to Neuschwanstein with other tourists.
Hotel staff statement
Staff at the hotel confirmed that they had been visited by police on Wednesday afternoon hours after the alleged attack. The two women shared a twin bed ground floor room at the £90 ($115) a night hotel. Staff identified the two women from social media photos and said they had sat together at breakfast. The hotel manager told Mail Online the belongings of the two women had been removed from their first-floor room and put into storage. The pair had checked into the hotel on Tuesday and traveled the 55 miles to the castle near the town of Garmisch-Partenkirchenon an organized tour.
Police Investigation Report
A police source said the three US tourists had traveled to the castle together but were otherwise not known to each other. The US State Department said they are aware of the incident and their consulate in Munich is monitoring the situation closely. Spokesman Matthew Miller said they were in close contact with the German authorities. The two women met the man near the Marienbrucke bridge, a narrow footbridge that at its highest point crosses 300ft above a gorge – with a stream and waterfall underneath – and offers stunning views of the castle. Police said the man allegedly persuaded them to follow him down a secluded trail that led to a good lookout point, where he ‘physically attacked’ the 21-year-old. When her friend tried to intervene, he allegedly choked her and pushed her down a steep slope. Police believe ‘an attempted sexual offence’ was then committed against the 21-year-old, before she was also pushed down the slope. The pair were airlifted away by helicopter, but Liu tragically died in hospital from injuries sustained in the fall. Miraculously, Chang suffered only minor injuries – bruises and a laceration – and has been able to make a statement to police. She is expected to be released from hospital Friday. The suspect fled the scene but was caught after a massive police operation involving 25 emergency vehicles. He was taken to a police station in nearby town of Fuessen.
The court hearing of the suspect
The suspect didn’t make any comments to police but in his hearing in court yesterday he did have his say in regards to remaining in custody. We don’t want to say exactly what he said, however,’ he told MailOnline. Under German law, suspects must be brought before a judge at a closed-door hearing by the end of the calendar day after their arrest if investigators intend to keep them in custody. Police said a judge in nearby Kempten on Thursday ordered him held pending a potential indictment and he was taken to jail. Meanwhile, police are searching for video footage of the incident. As of 8 am this morning, they said they had received a dozen submissions from visitors and that investigators would be scouring through it today for any new information. The officials said they hoped the international coverage of the shocking attack would result in more people coming forward, as many of the people who visit the bridge are tourists from abroad. We are looking for photographs which, by chance, show two young women and a man (approximately 30 years old) who were staying east of the Marienbruecke,’ Kempten police said on their website. These persons may have been walking together or separately.’ The motive for the attack is still unclear.